Thursday 7 February 2013

Numbered with the Transgressors



                                                                  
  The title of this blog entry comes from Isaiah 53:12 and refers to the coming Messiah.  This passage in Isaiah is considered to be a prophecy fulfilled by Jesus Christ when he died on the cross, one criminal to his right, and another to his left. He died as a criminal, rejected, judged, condemned.  He dealt with this rejection his whole life as Matthew Henry http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=4&contentID=1381&commInfo=5&topic=Isaiah&ar=Isa_53_12 reminds us: "In his whole life he was numbered among the transgressors; for he was called and accounted a sabbath-breaker, a drunkard, and a friend to publicans and sinners." 
    This past week I felt I could understand how Jesus might have felt at various points in his life as he was judged for those he hung out with.  Part of my role in Aftercare is to accompany the individuals who have asked for support after their release in their court appearances. One fellow I have gotten to know committed another offence and was arrested again. I have visited him during his detention a few times.  His offences weren't serious enough to result in much additional time incarcerated. I needed to discuss with him a safety plan for after his return to the community so he doesn't re-offend.
    During the court proceedings it became evident that many present were very angry. The other people in that courtroom that day were looking for punishment: the Crown, the police, his victim and friend. Even his lawyer was very cynical when talking to me about him. There was a desire for him to be hurt because of what he had done. There is fear about him coming back to the community. When I was identified as someone who would be helping him I could feel coldness descend on the courtroom. This man does have a horrendous criminal record and his prospects for successful integration into the community bleak.  He is considered a high risk of re-offending and was being threatened with a Dangerous Offender classification, meaning that he could be held indefinitely in custody. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_offender.  My identification with him meant I too was looked at with suspicion. I felt that coldness, I felt those looks. 
   Now, I don't minimize his offences, I don't condone his actions. I don't want to help him evade responsibility for his actions. But I do believe he is God's creation. I do believe that God loves him and that no matter what he has done. As far as I understand it and have experienced it in my own life, I know that God's grace is sufficient and he can be forgiven. I also believe that even if he never changes and experiences success in overcoming his issues with addictions and mental heath, he still needs to experience the love of God through his people. Finally, I am also firmly convinced that as a followers of Jesus we can't give up on anyone.  
     As God calls us to love those that society rejects, we must be ready to feel that rejection and sometimes be misunderstood. In that way we can experience what the Apostle Paul longed to experience: "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death." Philippians 3:10
  

2 comments:

  1. Not sure why people have a hard time leaving comments but try and let me know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynicism among those at court may be attributed to their focus on the capacity of men and women to pull themselves up their bootstraps as it were, but have failed over and over again.

    Thankfully, it is God who transforms, and we are grateful for Christ-Centric people such as yourselves, Tim, who God has placed in such hard places to redirect their collective attention to Christ, the great Physician.

    Praying for you. Be encouraged, for we sow in tears but will reap in joy.

    ReplyDelete